Baked apples with port and berries
4 medium cooking apples,
1 tbsp lemon juice,
1 cup prepared berries, thawed if frozen,
1 tbsp sliced almonds,
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon rind,
2 tbsp brown sugar,
1 cup ruby porto,
1 cinnamon stick, broken,
2tsp cornstach blended with
2 tbsp cold water.
1. Wash and dry the apples. Core them.
2. Mix the berries, almonds, lemon rind, and sugar in a bowl. Spoon the mixture into the center of each apple with a teaspoon and stand the apples in an ovenproof dish..
3. Pour the port into the dish, add the cinnamon stick, and bake in a preheated oven, 400 degrees F/200 degrees C, for 30-35 minutes, or until tender and soft.
4. Drain the cooking juices into a small pan. Keep the apples warm.
5. Remove the cinnamon and discard, then add the cornstarch mixture to the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened.
6. Pour the sauce over the apples and serve.