Empanadas, Lucila's recipe, Argentina
1.- Mix in a large saucepan, 3 tablespoons of oil with 2 cups of chopped onions. Add 1 cup of chopped red peppers.
2.- Cook uncovered, at moderate heat for 2 or 3 minutes, add 2 1/2 cups of ground meat and stir with a wooden spoon for 12 - 15 minutes at high heat.
3.- Remove from heat and add 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup of chopped green onions, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, 2 teaspoons of oregano, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of mild paprika cook for 3 or 4 more minutes.
4.- Let the filling rest for 2 hours.
Before filling pastries add to the filling mixtures some raisins, 1/2 cup of chopped olives and or 2 chopped hard boiled eggs.
Preparing the empanadas:
1. Lay each pastry disc on a flat surface.
2. Put 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoon of filling in the center of each pastry disc.
3. Fold dough over filling and make the edges of the pastry meet.
4. Press the edges with a fork to seal them or bend de dough inch by inch to seal them.
1. Preheat the oven at 400° F.
2. Lay empanadas in a large cookie sheet, previously sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray, and bake at 400° - 425° F for 15 - 20 minutes, until they get a golden brown color.