Gingerbread Christmas Cookies
2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup light corn syrup ( honey for me)
6 tablespoons/¾ stick butter
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg, beaten
1. Lightly grease two baking sheets. Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger and allspice together into a bowl.
2. Place the molasses, honey, butter, and brown sugar in a small pan and heat gently, stirring until well combined.
3. Let cool slightly, then beat in the egg. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix to form a firm dough. Let rest for a few minutes, then knead gently until smooth.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured counter roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick, and bake until crisp and golden, 10-12 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. To make the frosting, sift 1 1/3 cups confectioners’sugar into a bowl; add 1 egg white and 1 tsp lemon juice. Mix until smooth. Spread or pipe over the cookies. Let stand until the frosting has set, 1-2 hours. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.